[sdiy] [OT] Modular output into powered speaker sanity/reality check

Justin Owen juzowen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 19:30:36 CET 2013

Hello,

I'm putting together a small rig to demo some eurorack modules at a meet. It just needs to be enough that people can have a play and a listen - it's not a gig or a high end performance and it's being done with very little time and budget.

It occurred to me that it might be possible to run out of an attenuator module of some sort e.g. mixer, VCA, etc and straight into the input of a powered speaker - there are a couple of pairs of Genelecs 8030/8040 available to borrow and this would only take one speaker.

So that's an attenuated, unbalanced 1K impedance output into a balanced XLR input at whatever impedance that is (the Genelec data sheet doesn't say). I have an adapter lead that will handle the format change.

Can anyone see any problems with doing this? I'm open to alternatives that are cheap, readily available and that will fit into a backpack :)

Thanks!

Justin

P.S. - It's Brighton Modular Meet on the 16/11 if anyone is interested!