[sdiy] DACs on-board 12 vs external 16 vs 24 bit

cheater00 . cheater00 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 11:20:32 CET 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Justin Owen <juzowen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For a digital, micro-based oscillator (being used in a modular environment if that makes a difference) outputting the standard one waveform at a time sine, triangle, saw, pulse waveforms between e.g. 0.1 Hz and 20KHz (probably closer to a max of 10KHz) with the regular features of hard sync, FM, PWM, Unison etc.
>
> ...how much difference is the average human going to hear between 12, 16 and 24 bit DACs?
>
> For extra reference - I'm looking specifically at the 12-bit DACs on the STM32F407xx vs. the option of an external DAC of some sort.
>
> Thanks.

Generate a sinewave at 0dBFS in soundforge, decimate to 16 bit, then
make a copy and decimate to 12 bit and then upsample to 16 bit again.
Flip that and add it to the original - you're left with the difference
only. Look at that in the spectrum analyzer. You'll see some
sidebands. If they are under -90 dBFS you're very unlikely to hear
anything. Report when you've learnt more.

D.