[sdiy] Korg shows us how to sell more synths for less and make more money

cheater00 . cheater00 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 13:26:19 CET 2013

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 12:55 PM, roglok <roglok at hyperground.de> wrote:
> just adding to this the trend of affordable, laser-cut acrylic enclosures/panels:
>
> http://mutable-instruments.net/shruthi1
> http://www.sonic-potions.com/
> http://musicthing.co.uk/modular/?page_id=21
>
> the beauty of DIY is that it's all up to the builder to decide how much work and money they want to put into their gear. Music Thing's Random Looping Sequencer is a great example. the initial design featured acrylic panels, but soon after release DIYers have come up with custom aluminium versions... even commercial designs can work like that to a certain extent, provided they address the right group/niche. KORG decided to make the schematics for their range of mini-synths publicly available, which secured them not only sympathies, but also more sales.
>
> it really depends on which crowd you are catering to...

I feel there's a large niche inbetween. People who would like to start
out without front panels, but are not going to be able to create their
own, even out of simple cardboard. Those people need to be given the
option of buying ready panels that they can simply attach with a
couple screws. That's why this needs to be a standard.

Then there are those people who loathe picking up a screw driver, and
they can be given the offer of purchasing a synth module with the
front-panel pre-assembled.

And then there's people who want a custom, shiny panel, and they can
order that and pay up - the front-panel manufacturers could have
designs from manufacturers on file, and offer them to the end
customer.

Therefore, I don't think it's a question of what crowd you're
targetting. If you start out with a standard, the business side of
things becomes very flexible. You can go from nothing - no panel at
all - through ghetto self-made cardboard, through inexpensive, to
boutique, and your electronics fit all of them. It's really one size
fits all here. We've seen a similar trend in modular cases: some
people buy the generic stuff, some people buy the nice metal ones,
some people get them hand-made in artisan wood, and some people mount
everything in a shoe box. Do you need to target a specific crowd when
making a module that fits all of those cases? No, it simply doesn't
matter. I believe the way the front panel of your module looks
shouldn't matter, either.

D.