[sdiy] Screwing with Square Waves

Mattias Rickardsson mr at analogue.org
Sun Nov 3 23:14:31 CET 2013

On 3 November 2013 11:12, cheater00 . <cheater00 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3 Nov 2013 00:21, "Mattias Rickardsson" <mr at analogue.org> wrote:
>
>> detuning two of them wouldn't give the flanging effect that we're used to,
>> since the overtones aren't faded in/out in a specific order.
>
> Why wouldn't they be? Flanging is perfectly well explained in the time
> domain. It has a specific transfer function given by the amount of delay and
> the feedback, and nothing more. The transfer function does not depend AT ALL
> on the program pushed through it. A perfect flanger sounds the same on two
> waveforms that sound the same. An analog flanger might sound very different.

I'm sorry - I wrote flanging, but was referring to adding two
*differently* random-phased signals. Two signals with square-wave
spectra, but with random phases on all the partials. And then flanging
(in the most original meaning of the word) them against each other.
That should sound quite different, right?
It was after midnight and I should have gone to bed instead... :-)

>> Often it feels like we use synth waveforms near the limit where our
>> hearing starts to sense the separate edges of the waveforms. In bass
>> frequencies very much so. And I get the feeling that it can give a
>> kind of listening fatigue, especially when hearing very dry synth
>> sounds. Maybe the random-phase variants are the solution?
>
> I think this is a great idea.

Does any synth use it?

/mr