[sdiy] Screwing with Square Waves

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Nov 3 21:35:50 CET 2013

Hi Don,

On 11/03/2013 09:04 PM, Donald Tillman wrote:
> On Nov 2, 2013, at 7:27 PM, Magnus Danielson <magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org> wrote:
>
>> First of all, what the hell have you been smoking?
> I get asked that a lot.  :-)
That doesn't come as a big surprise. :)
>> Anyway, excellent approach! You drive the point nicely, to say that we
>> tend to not think beyond the description "squarewave" and actually
>> consider what it is and what it isn't is.
> Thanks.
>
> Indeed; I think we have a tendency to get caught up in geometric shapes.  And that's certainly going to be the case when you're building circuitry to create those waveforms.  But, with a few exceptions, the ears are mostly insensitive to the geometric features of audio signals.
Indeed. It's when you hit non-linearity that the shape characteristics
makes themselves apparent.

You did however not complete the initial approach, of talking about
which sources happens to behave like squarewave, to tie the story
together. A paragraph or two of a few sentences away and you got a
stronger message.

Cheers,
Magnus