[sdiy] is raspberry pi the future?

rsdio at sounds.wa.com rsdio at sounds.wa.com
Fri Mar 15 07:09:50 CET 2013

I'd say that an ARM board like Raspberry Pi is not the best choice
for the future of Synth DIY. Personally, I would prefer a single
board with a powerful DSP and on-board conversion. Good choices for
DSP would be TMS320 or SHARC. On-board audio would be I2S, with
available I/O headers for additional channels.

One exciting chip family, I think, is Texas Instruments' OMAP, which
combines ARM + DSP.

In other words, there's no sense buying a cheap platform that doesn't
have audio and tacking on a second board, when it seems easy enough
to just make a single board with everything. I have noticed that
Texas Instruments has several evaluation boards for DSP at the $50
and below price point, where stereo input and output are already
available, along with a USB port for development and programming of
firmware.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting