[sdiy] is raspberry pi the future?

cheater cheater cheater00 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 22:16:43 CET 2013

Hi Neil,

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 5:28 PM, Neil Johnson
<neil.johnson97 at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> cheater cheater wrote:
>> The Raspberry Pi has GPIO. Surely, for building a synth you don't want
>> to have the shittiness of USB?
>>
>> http://elinux.org/RPi_BCM2835_GPIOs
>
> A crappy USB interface would likely be better than the on-board audio outs.
>
> Neil

Yes - but then you're basically programming a less powerful desktop
computer, not a more powerful MCU. Pulse Audio and GPIO-connected DAC
are two completely different methodologies and will mean your code
needs to be restructured quite a bit. It's pretty amazing that
nowadays both approaches are viable on the same piece of low-cost
hardware - this hasn't been the case since the 70s.

BTW, like the links in your sig.

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Paul Maddox <yo at vacoloco.net> wrote:
> the Raspi has some nice features, but I don't think I'd use it for
> audio generation.
> Perhaps control of a synth, for example, a raspberry-pi with an FPGA,
> a few DACs and some VCFs would make one hell of a polysynth.

That's what I've been saying for some time now. Stop using crappy 40x2
LCDs with pushbuttons and deeply nested menus and all that! That's
really outdated. A raspi plus cheap old LCD monitor cost less than a
good character LCD! You can hook up a mouse and keyboard and have a
rich, awesome user interface to your synthesizer or any other
electronics project.

Eric,
love the beaglebone.

Terry, can't wait to see what you can come up with in your new endeavours.

Cheers,
D.