[sdiy] [ot] Ensoniq Mirage

Gordon JC Pearce gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Fri Mar 8 22:07:32 CET 2013

On 08/03/13 20:32, Martin Klang wrote:

(Yes Martin, I didn't mean Reply All but Reply to List which appears to
have sent to you and not the list.  Reply-To munging considered batshit
crazy...)

> I've not tried the linux/superformat approach, seems much easier than
> what I went through. I made disks for my SD-1, don't know how
> different that is from the mirage but imagine the raw disk format is
> the same.

I believe the SD1 uses a more conventional DSDD 10-sector 80-track
format, like the EPS.

> My notes-to-self are here:
> http://hq.pingdynasty.com/blog/2011/04/04/ensoniq-sd-1-sequencer-disks/

Looks intertesting.  I wonder how hard it would be to extract the files
off the SD-1 disks?

>  oh and I doubt you need DD floppies, just tape over the notch in an
> HD (much easier to get hold of!) and you should be good to go.

Nope.  HD disks will not work at all, for this.  Not even a little bit.

If you're very lucky, it'll read once or twice on the Mirage, and then
you get to reformat the disk.

Get DD disks, and save yourself a lot of hassle and error.

--
Gordonjcp MM0YEQ