[sdiy] Best way to get a +3.3V rail from +15V?

Neil Johnson neil.johnson97 at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 7 17:21:06 CET 2013

Tom,

> A similar board I did on stripboard (the new one is getting a PCB) draws 101mA on the 3.3V rail. This board will have a 74HC594 driving some LEDs too, so I need perhaps 200mA. Does that change the picture any?

A linear regulator would dissipate about 2.4W providing that amount of
current, from +15V down to +3V3.  That's quite a lot, and unless you
use a large heatsink then you've got yourself a nice little finger
burner.

Look in Farnell or Rapid.  For example:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electrical-Power/R-783-3-1-0-Sgl-Out-Converter-Sil-84-2572

Neil