[sdiy] Best way to get a +3.3V rail from +15V?

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Thu Mar 7 14:07:41 CET 2013

Hi all,

I'm putting a little dsPIC prototype dev board together for mucking about on. I've done such things before, but I've always had a +5V supply available, so when I've needed a 3.3V rail for the dsPIC, I've stuck a regulator on the 5V supply. Which was fine, but that's not the situation this time.

If I've only got +/-15V available, what's the best way to derive a 3.3V rail?

I've used 3.3V regulators on the 15V rail before and found they got hot, which wasn't a surprise seeing how much voltage they've got to lose somewhere. But perhaps I was doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Tom