[sdiy] VCA response - continously variable between linearand exponential

David G Dixon dixon at mail.ubc.ca
Sun Mar 3 20:21:48 CET 2013

You make a good point, and I've built many VCAs with Expo/Linear switches.
I personally almost never use the Expo mode.  However, the exponential mode
is useful (other than when being driven by linear envelopes) for percussive
sounds or for just giving some "pop" to amplitude envelopes, but pure
exponential can be very harsh, giving a sharp spike in gain right at the end
of the envelope.  In that case, it's nice to be able to temper the
exponential response a bit with some linearity.