[sdiy] VCA response - continously variable between linearand exponential

Andre Majorel aym-htnys at teaser.fr
Sun Mar 3 12:23:11 CET 2013

On 2013-03-02 20:49 -0800, rsdio at sounds.wa.com wrote:

> In other words, I again ask: Why would you want anything besides
> linear or pure exponential? Something in between doesn't seem
> terribly useful. (not that a synth designer shouldn't create
> additional parameters for variation)

I'm not sure purely exponential attacks and decays sound most
natural. Brass and strings swells start fast and end slow. So do
decays of piano strings, not just because higher partials decay
faster but also because there are two planes of vibration with
different decay rates (see _The coupled motions of piano
strings_ by Gabriel Weinreich, Scientific American vol. 240, no.
1, 1979-01).

VCA with weird responses might be useful in getting the desired
dynamics when driven by simple ADSR envelope generators.