[sdiy] VCA response - continously variable between linearand exponential

rsdio at sounds.wa.com rsdio at sounds.wa.com
Sun Mar 3 05:49:17 CET 2013

Ha!

I totally forgot about the Emily Litella character, or at least the
name, but I get it now. I totally missed the boat on the VCO / VCA
distinction. Usually I catch myself before I write an entire essay.

But in an attempt to save a little face, isn't exponential VCA
response an attempt to cater to the human hearing system's perception
of intensity as a logarithmic function? We hear volume in relative
terms, not absolute. Decibels are logarithmic, and almost perfectly
map to our perception of intensity of sound.

In other words, I again ask: Why would you want anything besides
linear or pure exponential? Something in between doesn't seem
terribly useful. (not that a synth designer shouldn't create
additional parameters for variation)

Brian