[sdiy] Buying a Multimeter in Japan

rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Tue Jun 25 14:14:38 CEST 2013

Hi Stewart,

I'd recommend heading straight to Akihabara if you're anywhere near the
Tokyo area.  You can get to it via the green Yamanote line (or yellow
sobu line) out of Shinjuku station.  It's like an Aladin's cave there
with electricals stalls set up inside buildings around the railways
station.  Kind of like a fruit and veg market you get here but selling
_LOADS_ of electrical components and appliances!  I had a fantastic time
rumaging around there a few years back.  Some pictures:

http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/temp/japan/

If there's any rare old Japan Radio semiconductors you're after,
definitely ask while you're there.  It's amazing what they have stashed
away, and can locate quickly with typical Japanese efficiency!  Just
watch out for buying any appliances that are not suitable for the supply
voltage/frequency back home.  The deals on IT equipment are also not as
good as they used to be, so if you're after a laptop I'd resist the urge
to buy it there.

Have a great time on your holiday.  Japan is a fantastic place to
explore!

-Richie,