[sdiy] Help! Component comparison/sourcing question

Neil Johnson neil.johnson71 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 16:47:43 CEST 2013

> Thank you! That was incredibly... *helpful

Jolly good.

> 4/ Select SOD-523 package style
>
> In all seriousness... I wouldn't have thought to look for a SOD-523 when I asked about an 0603 package. Are you saying they are potentially interchangeable?

On the Farnell page for the Bourns diode you suggested there's this text:

   Package / Case: 0603
   Alternate Case Style: (same footprint as SOD-523)

No need for google, just a bit of reading beyond the first line on the
product page.

Try this link:  http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=0603+SOD-523

> 5/ Select "Switching" category
>
> As opposed to Small Signal, yeah OK

Step 5 is optional.  Without it the fairchild diode is still #1
result.  It just removes the schottky diodes that might confuse you.

> Wow - the search on this site really is more pedantic than... er... never mind ;)

It is marginally better than the search engine on Farnell's website.
And the prices more than make up for the less-than-google-grade search
engine.

> 6/ First result is Fairchild 1N4148WT
>
>     http://uk.futureelectronics.com/en/technologies/semiconductors/discretes/diodes/switching/Pages/4906632-1N4148WT.aspx?IM=0
>
> So - this is a better or worse choice in your opinion than?
>
> http://uk.farnell.com/bourns/cd0603-s01575/diode-signal-150ma-100v-603/dp/1456535

It is cheaper, and it is a 1N4148 rather than some other diode that
might not be a drop-in replacement in your circuit.

Neil
--
http://www.njohnson.co.uk