[sdiy] VCO jitter, Slop ... (was: Re: Smith's Evolver Desktop's spikey VCO waveforms)

cheater00 . cheater00 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 15:31:59 CEST 2013

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 12:08 PM,  <rsdio at sounds.wa.com> wrote:
> Has anyone tested the
> contribution of the final output stage to the fatness of classic synths? Is
> there any way the modern soft-synth can be beefed up in this way, rather than
> trying to focus on the oscillator itself?

Brian,
I have two MKS-80's, one is a Rev 4, another is Rev 3. I'm 100%
certain you've never seen or heard of a Rev 3. It's got the same
layout and parts as the Rev 4; it's just that it's a prototype. It's
got serial number 0000001. It sounds much fatter tested against the
Rev 4. There are some different capacitors in the summing stage and
some other parts are probably different as well. I looked into it
together with Florian Anwander and we decided it's probably the
summing stage. So there you go.

Now that I have built up a nice measurement rig I might even stand a
chance of isolating the difference some time in the future.

Cheers,
D.