[sdiy] VCO Jitter, Slop ... (was: Re: Smith's Evolver Desktop's spikey VCO waveforms)

rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Tue Jun 11 14:59:23 CEST 2013

Hi all,

The VCO jitter/fatness/slop/wander thing is something that I did some
investigation into a few years back.  I had a GPS-locked atomic-clock
source and very high precision data aquisition system on my bench for
some other work unrelated to audio.  This allowed me to do some
measurements on the instantaneous phase of synth VCO waveforms relative
to the GPS clock's rock-solid 10MHz reference.  I've already posted
about the test setup and results in detail here before, however a
summary is as follows.  I tested a Roland TB-303, Roland SH-09, Roland
JX-3P, Roland Alpha Juno 2, and Casio VZ-1 for oscillator stability
relative to the GPS frequency reference.  The main contributors to pitch
error over time were as follows:

1. Residual LFO feedthrough modulating the pitch even though the LFO
mod is set at zero.  For the SH-09 this had the waveform of a high-pass
filtered squarewave, and was identified to be due to
undershoot/overshoot and subsequent recovery of the PSU rails when the
LFO LED lights suddenly and extinguishes suddenly!  (If you set the LFO
fast enough and do a long FFT on the VCO waveform you can clearly see a
bunch of sidebands characteristic of frequency-modulation.)

2. Very noticeable 50Hz modulation of the VCO pitch on the SH-09.  PSU
supply rail ripple for a full-wave rectified DC supply would be at
100Hz.  The 50Hz FM was found to be due to capacitive coupling from the
mains power wiring around the transformer to the sensitive
high-impedance nodes of the VCO and it's expo current source.  Grounded
Aluminium shielding of the mains wiring dramatically reduced the
modulation sidebands in the VCO output due to 50Hz mains feedthrough.
You can get very audible 50Hz FM of a VCO just by touching the
integrator's virtual earth point with your finger, it doesn't take much
current at all here to cause a disturbance!

3. Modulation of the VCO pitch by the LED multiplex waveform in the
TB-303.  I suspect this is due to supply rail dip and recovery as
various columns/rows of the LED array are abruptly switched in and out.
I didn't try to "fix" this, or alter the multiplex process in any way
since it's all tied up with the CPU and I didn't want to risk damage to
those delicate phenolic PCBs!

4. Modulation of the VCO pitch by the tempo clock in the TB-303.  This
was again very easy to see as modulation sidebands in a long-time FFT of
the TB-303's raw oscillator.  This time the spacing between the
sidebands could be changed by altering the tempo setting!  Presumably
due to power supply disturbances again.  The TB-303's boost converter is
quite primitive, so the load regulation is likely quite poor.  (I ran
the 303 off batteries during the test, so don't know what the line
regulation and susceptibility to external supply noise was like!)

5. The JX-3P showed noticeable pulling of the oscillator frequencies
when they were set close.  Presumably due to slight electrical coupling
between it's two LC free-running RF oscillators that are divided down to
generate the integrator reset pulses for the two VCOs.  Certain settings
would lock the oscillators in phase despite the little metal plate
soldered between the two oscillators intended to mitigate this effect!
Entrainment is quite common in analogue oscillators and is harder to
stop at radio frequencies without good screening and decoupling.

6. The alpha Juno and VZ-1 showed very little long term drift at all.
The VZ-1 showed much more short-term phase-noise in it's oscillator
outputs particularly at high pitches.  This is presumably due to the low
sampling rate of the digital VZ-1 when compared to the high clock rate
used to drive the Alpha Juno's NCO based waveform generator chip.  (The
aliasing in the VZ-1's oscillators is plain to hear at the top end of
the keyboard, whilst you have to pitchbend up the highest note on the
keyboard of the alpha juno and then look carefully at the spectrum to
see aliased frequency components with it's 12MHz sampling rate!)

7. Loooooong-term thermal drift.  Both the TB-303 and the SH-09 showed
long term thermal drift.  I tried to perform the tests in a temperature
and humidity controlled environment where I worked, but it was
innevitible that people opened doors to enter and leave the room
occasionally.  The long-term thermal drift was best described as a
gradual descending or ascending pitch over several minutes, with
occasional more rapid slews where someone opened a door or wafted air
past the synth.  (All of this was after 30mins time to aclimatise to
ambient room temperature and reach steady-state operating temperature.)
The Alpha Juno showed a very slight pitch change after initial switch on
which I attributed to the crystal temperature changing.  It was only a
few ppm but I can't remember the direction now.

I didn't see any evidence of 1/f noise or any exotic random walking of
frequency etc.  However, maybe if I could have removed the LFO, LED
multiplex, Tempo clock, and 50Hz supply contributions from the phase
noise there would have been some "filtered noise" contribution lurking
in there just above the wandering DC level caused by ambient temperature
changes!  Different measurement setups are better at revealing
deviations over different time-scales so in a way you almost need some
prior knowledge of where to go looking for drift.

Also, I appologise for this analysis still sounding slightly hand wavy!
It's down to two things.  Firstly it's a long email so I haven't gone
into the technical details of the measurement, and secondly the PC that
had the results on it at work has long since gone the way of the hard
disk failure so I don't have a full set of measurement results any
longer!

Hopefully some nuggets of useful info in there though as i'm not aware
of any similar analysis, and appologies for the long post if this is not
your particular area of interest,

The only thing I would add to Tom Wilthsire's discussion below is that
very small frequency shifts in a single oscillator *ARE* audible in some
circumstances.  Natural reverberations and comb filtering in the
listening enviroment can make our ears much more sensitive to small
frequency variations than we might expect.  When judging these things
you have to keep your head rock steady whilst listening otherwise the
change in sound simply due to multiple varying paths reaching your ear
is equally as dramatic as any VCO instability.

-Richie,