[sdiy] VCO Jitter, Slop ...

Fast TriggerFish fasttriggerfish at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 11:40:12 CEST 2013

What if you started on the assumption that the sound of classic VCOs
can be closely replicated by feeding a perfect VCO into one saturation
stage followed by a linear filter and a third saturation stage ?
Then parameterise each section ( say input and ouput levels for 2*tanh
sections, and a 4 band parametric eq for the filtering stage ).
Feed a few periods of various perfect waveforms through it ( with
adequate oversampling ) at various key frequencies and regress the
parameters against classic VCO waveforms so that the output of the
final stage matches the classic waveform in a well chosen measure ( I
have to admit I'm not sure which one, maybe the least squares of the
ampitudes and phases of an FFT ? )
Maybe also regress some form of bleed of 50/60hz and harmonics into
the oscillators.
Then once you have regressed all your parameters for a set of key
frequencies, decide on a way to interpolate them.
Finally, check if the ears agree with your resulting VCO, and maybe
tweak things by ear a little.
If it works you may be able to store the final "regressed VCO" output
into tables so that you don't have to actually compute these stages
each time.

Just thinking aloud here, If I was a DSP developer with access to
hardware and wanted fat oscillators that's probably thing that I would
try first.
Does that sound reasonable ?

JT