[sdiy] VCO Jitter, Slop ... (was: Re: Smith's Evolver Desktop's spikey VCO waveforms)

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Mon Jun 10 23:07:20 CEST 2013

I totally agree with Bruce. "Fatness" is a concept related to multiple oscillators. I don't think the human ear  (most people's anyway) have anything like the accuracy required to hear a little drift in a single oscillator.

I also totally agree with Brian. We *really* need to test some of these hypotheses to get this nailed down once and for all. There is a widespread perception that analog oscillators (and some more than others) have some level of drift or noise inherent in their design that improves their sound, particularly with other oscillators. Digital technology has reached a point where we could/can model this property *if we can identify it*. Plenty of effort has already been made in this direction.

My own experiments in this area have shown me that a little linear phase noise in a waveform isn't a bad thing, and that a little linear frequency wobble (if that's a different thing, which it only just is) helps too. Whether these effects are what's going on in "proper" analogue oscillators I've never been able to show. I only have CEM3340 oscillators around, and they don't show these effects, as far as I can determine.

One important thing to remember is that even quite minor shifts in phase have a significant audible effect on the higher harmonics if you mix a pair of oscillators. Even if the main pitches remain very close, the highest harmonics will drift in and out of phase. We can easily hear this, especially on the incredibly harmonically rich synth waveforms we're typically talking about. Thus you can put in a little bit of "motion" whilst barely affecting the pitch.

T.