[sdiy] Uniformly distributed noise generator?

Scott Gravenhorst music.maker at gte.net
Mon Jun 10 19:41:56 CEST 2013

Tom Wiltshire <tom at electricdruid.net> wrote:

>>> Never-repeating, for realz?
>
>With a 64 bit LFSR, you can clock single bits out at 96KHz for
>over 6 million years before it repeats. Reduce to merely tens of
>thousands of years if you need 8 or 16-bit values for output.
>
>And like Scott said, there's always 128 bit!
>
>T.

I'd ask the question "what is random enough?" but that's a bear-trap.

I think that the main question here is, again, exactly what does Damian want to do.
He hasn't nailed that down.  He mentioned Monte Carlo testing and electron
microscopes - but is that the actual application?  Or is this an idealized thought
experiment?  If we had actual numeric parameters regarding the type of testing he
wants to do, we might be able to help.  Otherwise, this is a lot of hand waving.

-- ScottG
-- Scott Gravenhorst
-- FPGA MIDI Synth Info: jovianpyx.dyndns.org:8080/public/FPGA_synth/
-- FatMan Mods Etc.: jovianpyx.dyndns.org:8080/public/fatman/
-- Some Random Electronics Bits: jovianpyx.dyndns.org:8080/public/electronics/