[sdiy] Uniformly distributed noise generator?

cheater00 . cheater00 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 14:15:34 CEST 2013

Hi Steven,
"white" refers to the frequency domain distribution, "gaussian" to the
time domain distribution. Both are independent, however gaussian white
noise is the most common by far. Any other kind is very rare.

Below is what Wikipedia says.

Cheers,
D.

----------------

Being uncorrelated in time does not restrict the values a signal can
take. Any distribution of values is possible (although it must have
zero DC component). Even a binary signal which can only take on the
values 1 or -1 will be white if the sequence is statistically
uncorrelated. Noise having a continuous distribution, such as a normal
distribution, can of course be white.

It is often incorrectly assumed that Gaussian noise (i.e., noise with
a Gaussian amplitude distribution — see normal distribution)
necessarily refers to white noise, yet neither property implies the
other. Gaussianity refers to the probability distribution with respect
to the value, in this context the probability of the signal falling
within any particular range of amplitudes, while the term 'white'
refers to the way the signal power is distributed (i.e.,
independently) over time or among frequencies.

We can therefore find Gaussian white noise, but also Poisson, Cauchy,
etc. white noises. Thus, the two words "Gaussian" and "white" are
often both specified in mathematical models of systems. Gaussian white
noise is a good approximation of many real-world situations and
generates mathematically tractable models. These models are used so
frequently that the term additive white Gaussian noise has a standard
abbreviation: AWGN.

White noise is the generalized mean-square derivative of the Wiener
process or Brownian motion.

A generalization to random elements on infinite dimensional spaces,
such as random fields, is the white noise measure.