[sdiy] Uniformly distributed noise generator?

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Mon Jun 10 12:22:42 CEST 2013

Why analogue? What's the advantage for a noise source?

Even a PRBS soon looks like you describe on a 'scope, since any LPF effect will tend to make the signal slew from one value to another (and bandwidth not being infinite, this is inevitable) which means it will spend more time near centre values.

T.

On 10 Jun 2013, at 11:01, "cheater00 ." <cheater00 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Richie,
> indeed, I thought of using a digital source myself, but was hoping the
> analogue gods here could come up with something fully analogue. I'm
> certain there's something out there..
>
> Cheers,
> D.
>
> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Richie Burnett
> <rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk> wrote:
>> A PRBS generator connected to parallel input DAC?
>>
>> That should cycle through every possible code once and only once during each repetition of the entire pseudo random sequence.
>>
>> -Richie,
>>
>> Sent from my Sony Ericsson Xperia ray
>>
>> "cheater00 ." <cheater00 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys,
>>> I was wondering if anyone has seen a noise circuit that is not
>>> gaussian (like normal noise circuits) but instead uniformly
>>> distributed.
>>>
>>> If you look at gaussian noise on a scope then it looks like a blurry
>>> line, which has the most intensity at 0V and becomes darker and darker
>>> as you move away from 0V.
>>>
>>> I'm looking for something that has exactly the same brightness from
>>> e.g. -5V to +5V.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> D.