[sdiy] Compensating output level for Q

Nicholas Keller niroke at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jun 1 14:23:54 CEST 2013

Andy,

  Thank you for the very detailed response.  This circuit is from the Octave Cat SRM, so that schematic is not my original design.  The reason it says "Revised by N Keller" is because there were errors in it compared to the actual PCB circuit.  Several components were missing, filter CV scale section was different, Q control pot was backwards, etc.   So I'm working with what I've got here and trying to make a mod that anyone with a nearby RadioShack can perform.  For me personally, I don't have a problem adding inverters, or perhaps even electronic switches.  So I might end up showing a simple way and a harder way when I finally write up the results and instructions.

That link you included is a wonderful resource!   I might take a few hints from that, although the CEM3320 has on-chip resonance, so it's not quite the same circuit.  Also I'm not trying to toss out the original character of the Cat SRM.  I'd like it to still sound like a Cat, but have the option of other filter modes and a more usable resonance, as right now it is very difficult to adjust the Q while playing live or recording because of the jump in output level.  I'm afraid that the Hi-Q/Low-Fc bass it produces will be sacrificed once the Q is tamed.  So an ideal solution might allow me to turn off/bypass whatever control mod I install when I want the extreme low-end.

I'm going to try the diode clipper between the Q pot and R166 first.

My first idea for creating BP was to cascade HP into LP, but when I learned that BP could be tapped right from the circuit, I decided to try that instead.  However, with the difference in level between the BP and the other tap points, perhaps it is easier to just make a cascade BP and avoid having to install op-amps to balance all the signals going to the VCA.  Also, I really didn't notice that much difference between the 12dB and 24dB modes, so perhaps trying to provide all modes is not necessary.  I will consider limiting the mode options to fewer modes.  I realize I will still need to invert something for the HP4 Q to work. I was hoping to avoid a 3pole rotary switch, but I might need to use one after all (input to second stage, selected output to VCA, inverter bypass)

Nick

Sent from the future