[sdiy] DSP 808 new demo

Adam Inglis 21pointy at tpg.com.au
Thu Jul 25 00:55:18 CEST 2013

On 25/07/2013, at 8:03 AM, Mattias Rickardsson wrote:

> On 24 July 2013 22:48, Richie Burnett <rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk>
> wrote:
>>
>>> As a TR808 owner for over 20 years, I was a little embarassed to
>>> only
>>> discover recently the source of the Egyptian Lover "zap" sound -
>>> you simply
>>> take the 14 volt trigger output from the "Accent Out" and plug  it
>>> in to
>>> your mixer (making sure you turn down the trim!) Doh! And I
>>> always thought
>>> it was a high Q filter sweep!
>>
>> My unit currently doesn't model this "gate pulse heard as audio"
>> sound. It
>> could easily be added as an alternative "zap" instrument if you
>> think it's
>> worthwhile though.
>
> Interesting, must try it. In a studio context I'm sure that the EQ of
> a mixer could transform this spike into something that rings and has
> much more character than the raw spike. All signals are worth
> listening to! :-)

True! After I discovered this I began listening to the various voltage
triggers I have available e.g. TR707 5 volt triger out, Boss Dr110
Accent out - they all have slightly different characters, of course
dependent on how hard they are hitting the mixer etc. Some are more
"splatty", some are precise. They sport some serious bottom-end power
in a mix, too.

Adam