[sdiy] DIN Sync voltage thresholds? Digital signalling over normal audio cables?

cheater00 . cheater00 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 21:28:22 CEST 2013

Hi guys,
I am wondering about an extension to the DIN Sync standard, using a
small-voltage signal which would not be registered as a din sync
pulse, but which could nonetheless be read off with proper
electronics. I've had several questions if anyone would be so kind to
try and answer them:

1. what are the usual voltage thresholds below which a sync pulse gets
rejected as noise? I understand this is a broad question since din
sync is just a clock in a pulse train, however I'm hoping for rough
figures at least..

2. has anyone tried doing "fast" digital signalling over the following
cables and what were good reliable speeds you could get on them?

- mini jack jumper
- short 1/4" jack jumper
- longer (10m+) jack jumper
- xlr cable (probably going to be better than the others?)
- cinch cable
- midi cable

Thanks,
D.