[sdiy] Sawtooth vs. Triangle core VCOs

Ian Fritz ijfritz at comcast.net
Fri Jan 25 01:33:28 CET 2013

With modern designs using modern components either Saw or Tri can reset
cleanly within 200 ns.
http://home.comcast.net/~ijfritz/sy_cir4.htm
http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-28713.html
There is very small correction for switching time in either case.  You will
find that many people here are stuck inthe 1970s and don't understand what
is possible today.

I prefer the Saw-core approach, because it is simpler.  And my Teezer
thru-zero module shows that a Saw-core can be used for the thru-zero
application also.

One consideration arises if you need to use your VCO in LFO territory. The
unavoidable switching transients could be an issue in this case.  I would
suggest choosing your VCO design to take this into account.

Just one ole  po-boy's opinion, FWIW.  (Not much, generally speaking.)

Ian