[sdiy] Logic Gate help (Help!)

Donald Tillman don at till.com
Wed Jan 23 18:37:07 CET 2013

On Jan 23, 2013, at 8:26 AM, Justin Owen <juzowen at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking to build a 2x input OR Gate and a 3x input XOR Gate using Resistor/(NPN)Transistor Logic.

That's not a request that comes up very often.  :-)

> I have this schem of a 3x Input NOR: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RTL_3-Input_NOR_Gate.svg
>
> 1) From that schem, if I remove 1x Input and either Invert the output or take the Q Output from the joined Emitters - does that give me a 2x Input OR?

Yes to the first part.  Don't take the output from the emitters.  The inverter stage will be a single transistor version of that schematic.

> 2) Is a 3x Input NOR the same as an XNOR? i.e. If I invert the output of that schem I get a 3x Input XOR from that XNOR? The truth tables suggests not - but I'm asking anyway.

A 3 input NOR is high when all inputs are low.
An XNOR is an XOR with an inverted output.
So...
A three input XOR is high for an odd number of high inputs.
A three input XNOR is high for an even number of high inputs.

> Anyone got any pointers to a 2x In OR and a 3x In XOR using RTL?

For the 2 input OR, just invert the NOR output like you planned above.

A three input XOR is a little more complicated.  You'll need three separate sections.

   * The third section is a single 4 input NOR gate.  It's output will be low when any of its inputs is high.

   * The second section is four 3 input NOR gates, each goes high when it detects a combination of even high XOR inputs.

   * The first section is three inverters providing inverted versions of all three inputs for the second section.

The rest is left as an exerciser to the reader.

  -- Don

--
Don Tillman
Palo Alto, California