[sdiy] How to add MIDI IN to an old Casiotone 101

rsdio at sounds.wa.com rsdio at sounds.wa.com
Tue Dec 31 07:15:08 CET 2013

The 74148 8-line to 3-line priority encoder chip in that P6Retro kit
is even more handy for this task than the 8-input NAND that I was
talking about. Not only can it trigger an interrupt input on your
microcontroller (its EO line goes High and GS line goes low) when a
column become active, but it will also decode the column number for
you on the A[2:0] outputs. This makes for a very fast response to
sync with the Casiotone matrix scan.

There's also a 74147 chip with 10 inputs that encodes to 4 bits, but
doesn't support all 16 hex codes.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting