[sdiy] MIDI notes filter which is also a MIDI converter for Junos ?

rsdio at sounds.wa.com rsdio at sounds.wa.com
Sun Dec 29 02:25:31 CET 2013

Dave,

I prefer to encourage DIY efforts, but this design violates the MIDI
specifications in multiple ways.

First of all, there is no opto-isolator on the MIDI input, which
risks ground loops between your synthesizers. Is there any reason you
did not use the standard chip?

Second, powering a circuit from the MIDI cable is a hack that was
never sanctioned by the MIDI Manufacturer's Association (to my
knowledge - if it has been added to the spec, please let me know). In
this age of 3.3V devices, there's no guarantee that a MIDI output
will actually be 5V. As long as a device delivers the required 5mA of
the MIDI spec, then  it's theoretically possible for the output to be
less than 5V. Of course, the example MIDI schematics do show 5V, but
that supply voltage is never mentioned in the text as a requirement.
Fortunately, your circuit does provide the option of external,
regulated voltage.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting