[sdiy] To SMT orNot to SMT.. that is my question

Roman Sowa modular at go2.pl
Mon Dec 23 11:48:13 CET 2013

I use very finne tip only when components are really dense, I mean 0402
stucked around QFN and alike. For most of work like 0603, 0805, 1206,
resistor arrays, pin headers, THT, small rework and fixes, a 2mm wide
bent chisel is excellent. It's better to have a few different ones from
0.8 to 3mm. The spoon for leaded ICs, knife for QFN, big 5mm wide chisel
for big stuff using copper plane as heat sinking. And most of them are
bent, so it's easier to reach the component.

Very sharp tips will wear out faster, and are more difficult to keep in
good solder-sticking condition, and their temperature stability is
poorer, so use them only for the smallest pads.

Roman

with tip-rack worth more than soldering station itself