[sdiy] To SMT orNot to SMT.. that is my question

Barry Klein Barry.L.Klein at wdc.com
Fri Dec 20 20:21:36 CET 2013

An Optivisor is a good thing to have around for small stuff (>0402).  I picked up the habit of having one on my head a lot from Leo Fender years ago.  He had one, George Fullerton had one, I had/have one.
An Aoyue 8032 heat gun is good for chip removal but be careful with them as they don't take abuse well.  Ours last about 4 months before dying.
I use one of those USB microscopes (http://www.dinolite.us/ ) for placement of scope or meter probes on things that normally you tend to short out while testing.  I've never tried it for soldering.
Put the liquid rosin flux stuff in a syringe.  Grainger sells the syringes.
Use "evil" lead/tin solder for lower melting temperature when soldering things that have a ground pad.
"Outlaw bullets not solder" is my motto...  :-)

Barry