[sdiy] To SMT orNot to SMT.. that is my question

Dan Snazelle subjectivity at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 20 08:21:08 CET 2013

ultimately if you are making a cool project,people Will build it!

I think eventually most people will work in SMT at home, especially those who are new to electronics and dont have supplies of old parts.

Why? because thru hole is disappearing. I dont mean surplus. but in 2013 I watched scores of transistors and capacitors disappear, only to be found in smt land. i think the incentive is gone to keep making them.

> According to my impeccable sources, doing SMD by hand is easier than
> through-hole.

this all depends on what tools , what eyes and how steady your hands are.( and of coursE
WHICH smt form factor. some sizes are easy-others impossible. i still sort of suck at SMT by hand  and i never look forward to doing it. maybe if i had a heat gun, a microscope, and a good
magnifier i could enjoy it ( I guess i should put some GOOD smt tools on my xmas list)

i can solder a prototype very quickly ( and very sloppy) in thru-hole
SMT requires far more "dedication"
you cant watch movies ;)

and another issue- even though all my modules are smt, I HATE having to repair smt
boards. why? I dont have the right tools. ( hot air gun, etc) and ive ripped pads up before trying to desolder. on super small parts, i feel like testing by eye and a scope probe is much harder.