[sdiy] To SMT orNot to SMT.. that is my question

Dave Brown davebr at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 20 04:15:43 CET 2013

Actually, my build time is slower since I inevitably drop a part and then
give up after an extensive search.  If you don't buy extras then you are
slowed by the replacement time!  Now I always buy extras and then never drop
one!  I keep threatening to drape a large white sheet under everything and
raise the edges so none can get away!

You need a really fine tip but at work we did have issues hand soldering
capacitors with an iron as some would crack and absorb moisture and later
short.  I am always very careful to heat the pad and not the part.  Having
slightly wider pads does help hand soldering to give you something to heat.
I've not taken the oven plunge yet.

Dave
modularsynthesis.com