[sdiy] I have come to accept, this is where it ends... sale.

Rutger Vlek rutgervlek at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 15:56:01 CET 2013

Wow, nice to see similar experiences. For me things actually turned out a bit more extreme than I first wrote it. When my PhD was nearly finished and I finally felt a relieved of the pressure that had been on my shoulders for about a year a serious burn-out appeared. I've been at the level where taking a shower was almost too exhausting and my body was complaining in ways I had never experienced before. I've been recovering for about 1,5 year now and feeling much better (though still need months to normal energy levels). This process has made me very much aware of how a human mind works, under stress and in relaxation. I've found out that I lost certain skills when I was working at 150%. I lost the ability to be really creative, to take risks, to make well-balanced decisions, etc. I'm surprised that by lowering the pressure I'm not nearly as improductive as I was afraid of. Actually, when having a more relaxed style of working and living, making good decisions and coming up with creative solutions becomes easier and makes delivering good work easier. I'm also starting to see that my friends and colleagues that are still running at 150% in the treadmill of academia are suffering from similar lack of creativity and decisiveness, and while they are claiming to do a very good job, in fact aren't.

Rutger