[sdiy] VCA signal analysis

Rutger Vlek rutgervlek at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 12:15:36 CET 2013

Hi all,

About two years ago I came up with moderately new discrete OTA vca design in Spice and now I finally have it prototyped and it works (yay! hope it is of sufficient quality to overcome dependency on the more and more obsolete OTA ICs), but I'd like to do some more analysis on the circuit beyond stating that "it puts signal through in a VCA-ish manner and doesn't sound too bad". I'd like to measure distortion, noise, CV bleed, etc. What is currently the easiest way to measure such aspects? I've read about hardware analyzers (Audio Precision and the likes), but was hoping for something a bit more gentle on the wallet. Can something like that be done with PCs nowadays? And do I need a special I/O card for that? Or would a high-quality DC-capable sound card (like my MOTU 828 MK3) work for that too?

Best,

Rutger