[sdiy] I have come to accept, this is where it ends... sale.

Rutger Vlek rutgervlek at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 12:09:01 CET 2013

On 8 dec 2013, at 18:32, rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk wrote:

>> ...except, that when the career came, after my days work I
>> lost motivation to continue with my electronic projects at home.
>
> I can totally relate to that.  If i've spent a day debugging someone's software for them, then I don't feel like firing up the computer when I get home and spending more time looking at a screen and writing code.  Likewise with tasks like PCB tracking, parts kitting, soldering, etc.  If you spend your working day doing it to get paid, then what was an enjoyable hobby before can start to feel a little bit like just doing more work in the evenings!

Very familiar indeed! During my PhD my mind was so saturated with work that I didn't enjoy many of my hobbies. Especially the more creative aspects, making decisions, etc were hard. Now the PhD is done hobbies are becoming more interesting again. Even to a degree that I'm considering to try and make a living out of it :).

Rutger