[sdiy] Shruthi 4PM (was re something else...)

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Mon Dec 2 11:27:38 CET 2013

I don't know whether it's "weird in theory", but there are clear differences in practice. I spent a *long* time fiddling with the SSM2164 SVF design (having started with Roman's posted below), trying different types of diodes (silicon, germanium, LEDs, zeners) and different positions for them (across integrating caps, to ground, res path, main path, etc) and experimenting with altering the current through the filter (reduce 30K Rs to 15K, double caps to compensate). Pretty much everything makes some kind of difference. I was striving for a clean sine wave resonance, and an even resonance response across the full audio range. The final circuit doesn't quite manage that, but it gets close enough for me, and adding more components for a minor extra benefit isn't my style - leave a bit of he character in!

David Dixon and Olivier Gillet were working on the same SVF design at the time, and we shared notes. It was very helpful and productive.

HTH,
Tom