[sdiy] Murata AFL811WF / Ursa Major 126

Jim Credland jim at cernproductions.com
Sun Dec 1 20:48:09 CET 2013

Getting there, I think.

It might be a dodgy comparator in the ADC.  (A CMP05: http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets_obsolete/OBSOLETE%20WATERMARK/CMP-05.pdf)

I'm presuming that when the +ve input is at a higher voltage than the -ve input I'm expecting to see a HIGH on the output.

However instead, when the +ve input goes substantially more negative than -ve input I get a HIGH output.

Also, having removed the feedback from the SAR to the comparator, and feeding in a sine wave, the thing only outputs a 1 for 25% of the cycle.  I'm guessing this should be 50%!

I can't think of why this should be unless it's no longer a proper comparator?

I'll try and get a shot of the scope output...

J.

PS. It's also running a bit hot.  Easily the hottest chip on the board at about 50 degrees C.

PPS. If you're interested and fancy double checking my logic, the circuit is here:

http://www.sevenwoodsaudio.com/MSP126_Preliminary_Service_Manual.pdf

Top of sheet 5, I've removed U25 from it's socket to make things a little easier to follow.