[sdiy] What to watch out for when buying Nixies?

KA4HJH ka4hjh at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 20:10:18 CEST 2013

On Apr 26, 2013, at 6:39 AM, cheater00 . wrote:

> Hi,
> I was offered a fairly cheap piece of equipment (DVM) with nixies.
> What should one watch out for? Can it be that several of the digits
> are burnt out? Anything else?

I was given several pieces of Nixie gear when a friend moved. Some of the tubes have a lot of darkening of the envelopes and could stand to be replaced. One HV supply smoked when a capacitor failed.

Fortunately, there's a lot of NOS around. Off the top of my head:

http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/nixies.html

http://www.sovtube.com/en/

Plus a bunch of people on ebay.

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH