[sdiy] IDC connector reliability?

David G Dixon dixon at mail.ubc.ca
Wed Apr 3 08:29:31 CEST 2013

> What is your opinion on IDC connectors and reliability? I'm
> wanting to use these to carry power, audio and control
> voltages between boards to save some time wiring and make
> things a bit cleaner.
>
> I do see that there are gold plated options, but I'd really
> like to hear about the long term reliability of these
> connections in actual use.

I've never used IDC connectors, but I use the sort of crimp-pin connectors
shown here:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8100

and I love 'em!  I've never had a single problem with them.  I use a tool a
lot like the one shown here:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=092-580

(I never solder them or use needle-nose pliers on them.)  I've never had one
fail or lose its connection.