[sdiy] clickless muting

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Mon Oct 29 11:10:55 CET 2012

You can use analog switch ICs for this, as a variation on the JFETs. There are modern ones which have zero-crossing detection and fancy tricks and claim to be clickless (haven't used them - can't judge myself) but I've used typical 40xx switches (particularly 4053) for this job. You can use a LPF'd voltage on those too, with good results.

I wouldn't say there's any problem with running audio through a panel switch, but it won't get you anywhere close to silent switches, and I'd avoid relays for the same reason. Anything with bouncy bits of metal banging together.

HTH,
Tom