[sdiy] clickless muting

Oren Leavitt obl64 at ix.netcom.com
Sun Oct 28 22:06:20 CET 2012

On 10/28/2012 3:44 PM, David G Dixon wrote:
> Hey Team,
>
> Does anybody here have any insight into good ways to achieve "clickless"
> muting of audio signals?  My first inclination was to send a large (and
> slightly LPFed) positive voltage to a 2164 VCA (i.e., to use it as a
> switch), but I don't think that the 2164 VCA shuts off hard enough for true
> muting.
>
> Of course, the easiest way would be simply to put a toggle switch in the
> audio path.  However, I'm a bit concerned about feeding an audio signal
> through a panel switch.  (Am I right to be concerned about that, or is this
> a safe thing to do?)
>
> As usual, any and all help most appreciated!
>
> Cheers,
> Dave Dixon

Try this: Wire up two LDRs (Vactrols or whatever) - one in series
between source and input, the other from input to ground. When muted the
one from source to input is off, the one from input to ground is on,
grounding the input. That gives good attenuation.
The LDR's laggy responsiveness should give a soft on/off.

- Oren