[sdiy] Hammond VS300 - uses for top note generators in place of top octave generators?

Bob Weigel sounddoctorin at imt.net
Fri Oct 26 02:33:51 CEST 2012

On 10/25/2012 1:31 PM, Bob Weigel wrote:
> On 10/25/2012 6:26 AM, cheater cheater wrote:
>> Hi Anthony,
>> What are top note generators?

>> TOG is a chip that develops a high octave of notes from a single
>> input signal.  The Russian organ we're looking at works the same way.
>> Then dividers halve the frequences multiple times to make all the
>> lower octaves.  I assume that's what he's talking about and the 12
>> are just the notes coming out of it.

Obviously earlier units use discrete oscillators for the top
octave...usually when I see 'what are top note generators' though I'm
thinking of an all in one unit.  Discrete oscillators are found in

*Most combo organs before 1970 ish.

* Rolands early electric pianos

* Freeman string machine has two banks of them plus a tos chip to get
discrete vibrato control on each.

--
Check out sounddoctorin.com for songs, a studio tour, help
repairing old synthesizers and parts or thought provoking