[sdiy] Russian divider chips..

cheater cheater cheater00 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 14:23:16 CEST 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 11:31 PM, Bob Weigel <sounddoctorin at imt.net> wrote:
> On 10/23/2012 12:40 AM, cheater cheater wrote:
>>
>> What are you repairing.. an alisa maybe?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> D.
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 4:36 AM, Ove Ridé<nitro2k01 at gmail.com>  wrote:

> Oh sorry I should have said, the creature is called an Elektronica
> EM-14...which appears identical save color to the EM-141 on ebay right now.
> The only mention on google of the EM-14 I see is the russian synth site and
> the one I bought on matrix synth :-)  So it's probably very rare in the
> states anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Syntorgan-VENTA-ELEKTRONIKA-EM141-Russian-Soviet-Hammond-Electro-Organ-/230815013008?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bda59890

Wow, this is super overpriced. Probably worth 200 at best.

Lots more similar things on ebay to be had.

> Hopefully we'll get some more info.  There are three divides and some chips
> with 145 and 155 in them on what is no doubt the generator board.  There are
> some signals there and some of them get to the divider boards but I don't
> think anything on the divider board is doing anything at the moment.  The
> power supply is wired for 120 I believe.  There is a xformer with two coils
> in it appears. Wound around opposite sides of the permeable "O".  AC comes
> into one side but is then jumped over to the other coil.  The other side of
> the first coil attaches to nothing.  The other coil's other wire is the
> other AC wire.  I'd think if it were wired for 220 like it says it would
> have a series arrangement of the two coils?

So the two coils are wound in parallel? That's bizarre. Maybe it was
at first wired for 220, and someone either:
A) connected the second coil in parallel in some futile attempt at experimenting
B) connected the AC into the middle between the two coils. This means
the two coils are in fact in series, but the way the AC connects to
them the first one is bypassed. This actually sounds like it could be:
it's better to wire the coils in such a weird arrangement for 220V
because it eases up manufacture. The lugs are closer together this
way, therefore the cables are easier to lay and solder.

> Anyway the voltages look like ones you'd expect..15, 5 and 0 so I dunno.
> I'm afraid to jack it up to 220 :-).  Not sure someone already didn't like I
> say.  Only the front end caps appeared bad which I replaced.

Yeah, totally don't.

D.