[sdiy] Good Expo curve for VCA use..

rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Tue Oct 16 12:21:11 CEST 2012

> It's of course easy to justify an exponential decay, but I think it's
> a little harder to evaluate "naturalness" of attacks...

I think the attack shape produced by analogue ADSR envelope generators
sounds natural to us because the "inverted exponential attack" shape
does closely mimic what is seen in nature.

We know that the amplitude of oscillation in a high-Q resonant system
will decay away exponentially when the excitation is abruptly removed,
but a similar behaviour occurs in the attack phase.  The amplitude of a
high-Q resonant system will also "ring-up" with the inverted exponential
shape when excitation is abruptly applied.  (...both of these curves
theoretically taking forever to reach their steady-state settling
points!)

In the general case, whenever excitation is abruptly changed a linear
system's existing response will decay away exponentially, and the new
steady-state response will grow with an inverted exponential attack.
The response at any given point in time is a weighted superposition of
the old steady-state response and the new steady-state response, and
sweeps exponentially from old to new.

-Richie,