[sdiy] Akai S612 power problems

Adam Inglis 21pointy at tpg.com.au
Thu Oct 11 00:41:42 CEST 2012

OK, just for the record:

I rigged up an external +/- 5 volt supply and used that alongside the
working 15 and 12 volt rails from the PSU, to prove that the problem
was not on the load side.
I re-checked all the voltages and diode-drops around the transistor
regulator sub-circuit again - all seemed pretty close to those quoted
in the service manual, at least within a few tenths of a volt.
Certainly there was no result that pointed to a single component.
Replacing the 4 transistors and the zener in this circuit fixed the
problem and restored a robust +/- 5 volt supply, although the rails
now measure about 0.3 - 0.4 volts higher than before (when the load is
unconnected).

So, still not sure what the actual failure mode was - maybe these
transistors copped a significant reverse-voltage when the transformer
opened?

Adam