[sdiy] Miniwave question

Ross Oldenburg oldenburg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 03:45:58 CEST 2012

Hi,

I also have the Miniwave.  What an awesome module!

Your "switch wiring problem" is in how I think you're interpreting the
labels.  You said your VCO is 10v p-p, which means that, assuming AC
coupling, the output will be from -5V to +5V.  This is normal for
VCO's, so you should use the +/- 5V setting.  The +10V setting accepts
inputs from 0 to 10 volts, like you'd get from an ADSR.  So the +/-5V
accepts the entire swing of your VCO, while the +10V setting will only
register anything when the VCO is above 0V.

About your glitch, if you change RT1 and RT2, you'll need to change
RT3 and RT4 as well.  It's sort of a delicate balancing act (ah the
glory of analogue, even when it interfaces with digital!).  Try going
through the calibration procedure in the manual a few times.  And keep
in mind that the manual does say, "These adjustments are designed to
match the MiniWave to the specific VCO used for input."  Not that you
should recalibrate every time you repatch, but something to keep in
mind.  :)  It won't always be perfect.

I don't have my scope handy, otherwise I'd see what the output of my
MW looks like.  You probably just need to calibrate, recalibrate, and
re-recalibrate until you get it "close enough". :)

Peace,
Ross O.