[sdiy] Looking for MATRIX 12 information

John Henson synthnerd at eircom.net
Wed May 30 23:35:59 CEST 2012

Hi everyone,
yesterday one of Ireland's only Matrix 12's arrived in for service.
Most of it is ok, but there is a PSU issue where the switch-mode
frequency is audible for an hour
after switch on, I know it's supposed to be 30kHz, and it needs
attention but for the time being the
voltages are of no major concern, all well within Spec.
I have the Xpander service guide but not the Matrix 12, so my question
is probably a little silly!
The two 6 voice modules that sit one above the other, which card is 1-6
and which is 7-12.
The two boards are different revisions, as this Matrix 12 is no. 9, the
lower of the new boards is much
newer, and I would guess that at some point the whole 6 voice board was
replaced, the engineering
change orders from the original Xpander are all implemented on the pcb
of the newer module.
The problem I'm having is random tuning failures every time I tune, but
voices 7-12 seem to be the
worst, failing more completely more often. The tuning comparator
circuitry is very different between the
two boards, with a lot of components tack-soldered around the newer one.
Anyone out there have the service manual and/or the ECO's for the Matrix 12.

Regards,
John.