[sdiy] My 12 x Moog 921B VCO clones finaly built...

Veronica Merryfield veronica at merryfield.ca
Fri May 25 21:04:41 CEST 2012

On 2012-05-25, at 11:28 AM, Harry Bissell wrote:

> I've considered this (played with some crude prototypes I made). For those who might be new to the
> wired frets idea... the trouble is when you fret a string you make contact with two frets, the one nearer the
> bridge and the one nearer the nut. Play a Barre chord and you short multiple frets.

The easiest way is to do it in software, since the OP mentioned using a PIC, and only use the highest fret that makes contact, mimicking what the string does.

If one has non-segmented frets, one need scan the strings and frets in a matrix of switches. Beware of finger grease and grime though, can play havoc although cleaning will mostly fix it. If it is a problem, there are other ways the contact can be detected.

To get bend, use piezos under the saddles. Low pass filter for the bend. The unfiltered signals can be used as pickups if desired. One could treat each pickup as though a VCO output but be careful if mixing with other VCOs as the tunings will not match at every fret - there are ways to fix this if needed. Use an envelope follower on each as another control signal for the synth.

The guitar can use regular strings and tensions and thus be playable without the synth element.