[sdiy] My 12 x Moog 921B VCO clones finaly built...

Harry Bissell harrybissell at wowway.com
Fri May 25 20:28:52 CEST 2012

Sounds interesting...

are you aware that some Guitorgan models had the frets cut at a 45 degree angle relative
to the strings, so you could bend across the cut smoothly ?

I've considered this (played with some crude prototypes I made). For those who might be new to the
wired frets idea... the trouble is when you fret a string you make contact with two frets, the one nearer the
bridge and the one nearer the nut. Play a Barre chord and you short multiple frets.

There have been maybe twenty patents of ways to try and get around the problem. I tried embedding a plate in the middle of the fretboard (well, six plates) for each fret. The idea was you would simultaneously fret the string and
contact the plate. You needed hands of (the man of) STEEL to do so :^)

I also considered using non-conductive strings and superimposing a HF AC waveform on them and capacitively coupling
to said plates. T think Gore makes strings covered in a polymer... but alas they are only the WOUND strings :^(

I'll be listening to see how you fare with your project. Good luck!

H^) harry